Brief Description of Occupation
The occupation is writing and sending a textual content message with the assistance of a smartphone. This occupation is carried out by Dianne Andrews, who’s 42 years outdated and was recognized with seropositive rheumatoid arthritis (RA) ten years in the past. RA is a progressive situation that may be moderately painful; it impacts individuals’s on a regular basis actions and is very frequent amongst ladies (Bailey, 2016; Singh, 2000). Dianne is unable to work on account of her situation as a result of RA has impacted her fingers and fingers, and below that affect, her grasp and pinch are now not as robust as required to carry out sure duties. In addition, Dianne is a grandmother for a one-year-old lady Sophie for whom she cares two instances every week as a result of Sophie’s mom needed to return to work. Typing and sending a textual content message through smartphone is a problem for Dianne since her fingers are visibly deformed, not as robust as wanted for duties that require advantageous motor abilities, and are tough to coordinate.
We will write a customized Essay on Occupational and Biomechanical Analyses of Texting particularly for you
$16.05 $11/web page
807 licensed writers on-line
Meaning of the Occupation
Sending textual content messages is a precious occupation for Dianne, particularly now that she has develop into a caretaker for her granddaughter. Text messaging is a vital a part of caregiving since this instrument permits a guardian and the people watching their youngsters talk with greater productiveness offering each side with prompt data (Five Ways to Communicate with Your Nanny, 2016). Even although textual content messaging is acknowledged as a moderately younger medium of communication, 91% of individuals from 30 to 49 apply it to the common foundation of their every day life (Family Touch, 2015; Carbonell & Stephanidis, 2003). Overall, with the ability to talk efficiently via textual content messaging and utilizing her smartphone is essential for Dianne as a member of recent society.
Roles and Habits
In her on a regular basis life, Dianne performs a job of a caregiver, a mom, and a grandmother. Being in a position to ship textual content messages to her daughter about her day with Sophie and skim the texts from her daughter reminding her about chores she is to perform is critical for Dianne. Moreover, as a person in a relationship, Dianne is to speak together with her accomplice, and textual content messaging might be moderately useful on this space. A smartphone could also be seen as an assistive system for Dianne’s rehabilitation (Ling, 2011). As quickly as she develops a stronger grasp, pinch, and improves her advantageous motor abilities, she is going to have the ability to return to work and have her daughter take care of Sophie.
Dianne’s surroundings for textual content messaging is her house. She may carry out this exercise whereas standing up or sitting down. The solely objects concerned within the process are the smartphone and, typically, items of furnishings round the home similar to a sofa or a desk.
Typing a textual content message, Dianne must use the muscle tissue of her fingers and fingers with out having to use a lot pressure because the smartphone display could be very delicate. The people who’re unaffected by RA use abductor pollicis brevis and flexor pollicis brevis typing with their thumbs (Muscles of the Hand and Wrist, 2015; Muscles of the hand, 2015). Apart from flexion and extension of the thumb, texting requires its adduction and abduction (Jonsson, Johnson, Hagberg, & Forsman, 2010). In truth, as of late, texting is acknowledged as one of many causes of arthritis, and that’s the reason Dianne, who already has this situation, could face difficulties performing this exercise usually (Rush University Medical Center, n.d.). Texting requires communication, processing, sensory, and motor abilities. Dianne has an issue with the latter. Her technique to handle the problem entails a wristband for a stronger grip and higher vary of movement in her fingers.
- Occupational Performance: Biomechanical Analysis of Writing a Text Message
- Occupation – caretaker
- Role efficiency: digital communication
- Task: writing and sending a textual content message utilizing smartphone
- Name of the exercise: sending a textual content message by smartphone
- List of steps:
- Taking the smartphone out of a bag or a pocket
- Picking the smartphone up
- Pressing ON button to activate the system
- Sliding a finger throughout the display
- Tapping on a textual content message icon
- Tapping COMPOSE icon
- Typing within the textual content of the message
- Selecting a contact to whom the message is addressed
- Pressing SEND button
Alternative sequence of steps for current fashions of iPhone which have Siri:
- Pressing and holding HOME button
- Saying the textual content of the therapeutic massage aloud
- Tapping SEND button
What capacities and skills are prerequisite to profitable process comprehension:
in as little as 3 hours
- Eyesight ok to see the symbols on the smartphone display
- Ability to memorise the sequence of the steps required for the completion of the duty
- Ability to press and faucet small buttons with one finger
- Ability to carry a smartphone (non-obligatory because the telephone might be placed on a floor)
Describe the exterior (contextual) constraints:
- Positions of the objects and their measurement
- The buttons and icons on the smartphone display are too small and situated too shut to 1 one other
- The particular person can not see the icons correctly or distinguish between them
- The particular person can not use display keyboard correctly and retains urgent improper buttons, so the messages are unclear
- Task constraints: what utensils and instruments are required for the exercise:
- A smartphone (the dimensions could range relying on the model and mannequin)
- Possibly, glasses for higher visibility of the display
- Environmental constraints: the place is the duty often carried out?
- The exercise is beneficial to be practiced within the areas the place the person can sit down and place the smartphone in entrance of themselves on a flat and agency floor
- Environmental constraints: does the exercise, or how it’s executed, maintain specific that means for sure cultures or social roles:
- The individual wants to tell others about undertaking sure every day actions
- The individual finds digital gadgets difficult and irritating in the case of texting
- Internal constraints description
|Joint place of movement||ROM levels||Primary muscle tissue||Gravity help/ resist/ no impact||Minimal power required||Type of contraction|
|Cylindrical grasp||extensors||No impact||
|Wrist stabilisation||All wrist muscle tissue||No impact||
|Interphalangeal joint flexion||0-10||Flexor pollicis longus||Assists||
|Metacarpophalangeal joint flexion||0-10||Flexor pollicis longus and Flexor pollicis brevis||Assists||
|Trapeziometacarpal joint flexion||0-5||Flexor pollicis brevis||Assists||
|Interphalangeal joint extension||10-0||Abductor pollicis brevis||Resists||
|Metacarpophalangeal joint extension||10-0||Abductor pollicis brevis||Resists||
|Trapeziometacarpal extension||10-0||Abductor pollicis brevis||Resists||
|Thumb basal joint abduction||0-45||First Dorsal Interosseous||No impact||
|Thumb basal joint adduction||45-0||First Dorsal Interosseous||No impact||
|In case if an individual is utilizing her index finger to faucet and sort whereas the telephone is on a flat and agency floor|
|Wrist extension||0-20||All wrist muscle tissue||Resists||
|Wrist flexion||20-0||All wrist muscle tissue||Assists||
|Metacarpophalangeal joint||10-0||First unipennate||No impact||
(With out there Siri perform, the affected person doesn’t want to make use of her fingers for typing. Instead, she is barely required to activate her iPhone, and press two buttons – HOME at first, and SEND in the long run).
- What ought to be stabilised to allow sure purchasers to do that exercise?
- For which ages is that this exercise acceptable?
- 10+ years primarily
- 8-10 years secondary
- What is the estimated metabolic equal of this exercise?
- 1 MET
- What precautions have to be thought-about when utilizing this exercise?
- If the person’s eyesight is unhealthy, it will be useful to obtain and set up an software offering a keyboard with bigger buttons. If the vary of movement of fingers and advantageous motor abilities are weak, the smartphone could possibly be geared up with a voice recognition and enter to minimise the necessity for typing.
- An particular person with unhealthy eyesight may must buy glasses for wanting on the objects from up shut.
- An particular person with a weaker hand grip shouldn’t be utilizing a smartphone whereas standing up and above surfaces which will break the system if it falls down. Instead, a person ought to choose to take time to take a seat down and place the system on a flat and agency floor (similar to a desk) for simpler use.
- For which quick time period targets is that this exercise acceptable?
- For the event of cylindrical grip to have the ability to maintain smaller objects
- For the event of advantageous motor abilities of wrist and fingers
- For stretching of thumb muscle tissue
- For coordination between two fingers (in case if the person is utilizing two fingers for the exercise
- How can this exercise be graded to extend?
- Grip perform
- Using gadgets of various sizes
- Active vary of movement
- Using completely different fingers as dominant for typing texts
- Using completely different fingers
- Using only one hand for each holding the telephone and typing
- Passive vary of movement
- Not relevant
- Using keyboards with larger and smaller letters
- Holding the smartphone vertically and horizontally for the event of advantageous motor abilities
- Increase the quantity of typing (writing longer textual content messages or sending extra messages a day)
- Grip perform
- How can this exercise be graded to lower?
- Place the smartphone on a desk as an alternative of holding it
- Use just one finger of 1 hand and simply transfer the wrist muscle tissue for typing
- Install and use voice enter software (similar to Siri for iPhone) to eradicate the necessity for typing and cut back the finger actions to the minimal
- Active vary of movement
- Use the phrases provided by the system as an alternative of typing them totally
- Passive vary of movement
- Not relevant
- Use keyboard with larger buttons
- Use autocorrect solutions as an alternative of typing the phrases totally
- Send fewer textual content messages a day and write quick and factual messages
- Reduce oedema
- Not relevant
- Reduce ache
- Do not maintain the telephone whereas typing, use lighter grip and contact
- How else may this process be accomplished?
- Ask another person to sort and ship the messages
- Use voice recognition and enter to eradicate the necessity for typing
Bailey, A. (2016). Restricted Finger Movement From Rheumatoid Arthritis. Web.
Carbonell, N., & Stephanidis, C. (2003). Universal entry. Berlin, Germany: Springer.
Family Touch. (2015). Texting for well being. Web.
Five Ways to Communicate with Your Nanny. (2016). Web.
Jonsson, P., Johnson, P., Hagberg, M., & Forsman, M. (2010). Thumb joint motion and muscular exercise throughout cell phone texting – A methodological research. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 21(2), 363-370.
Get your first paper with 15% OFF
Ling, S. (2011). Rehabilitation of Older Adult Patients with Arthritis. Web.
Muscles of the Hand and Wrist. (2015).
Rush University Medical Center. (n.d.). When expertise hurts.
Singh, M. (2000). Exercise, diet, and the older girl. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.